Wednesday, June 28, 2006

BET's Humanitarian Award goes to Harry Belafonte and the Lifetime Achievement Award to Chaka Khan.




I have always been a fan of Chaka Khan. Two of her songs that really give me the chills are Through the fire and Sweet thing. I also love I'm every woman but somehow I prefer the Whitney Houston version.
Having said that, I also have to mention a newfound respect for Harry Belafonte that I acquired tonite after watching BET's awards show. Honesty I had never thought that he was that much involved in humanitarian matters.
I have also been "mad" at BET for a few years now that most of the time I just skip through channels without even checking what might be on BET. And this, ever since they fired Tavis Smiley.
But tonight, BET just managed to win a few points from me by honoring two of the best (in my humble opinion) that Afro-America has given birth to.
Harry Belafonte stressed out how "un-fixed" these issues still are: two million men in jail, HIV/AIDS, famine and diseases in Africa and the rest of the third world,etc.
I felt moved and touched by his speech.
I honestly feel like BET could and should do much more than it's currently doing in terms of what our struggles as a people are, but in all fairness, they did well in honoring these two as their contribution is unparalleled.
Kudos BET!!

No comments: